Wenger: We need something special now
Dear Arsenal Supporter,
Sunday's defeat is difficult to take but easy to explain because we were poor offensively and defensively.
We delivered an off-the-mark performance and that is why we were well beaten. We gave Manchester United too much room, and we were naive. I believe we have to stick together now, recover and produce a much better performance next Sunday against Chelsea.
I don't know why we performed poorly. Did we want it too much? Were we a bit inhibited and tense? I'm not sure. The physical reasons are not obvious because we finished the game quite well and we were unfortunate because we gave the third goal away. You could see we finished quite strong and had we come back to 2-1 earlier on maybe we had a chance. At 3-1 it was too much.
The players wanted to win, and they are really down. This team has spirit, a good attitude mentally, and it is very difficult to say so soon after the game why we were not at all at our level. I believe there are some mental reasons in there but it is difficult to say.
Wayne Rooney played very well but I would say they had other players who gave us some problems, not only Rooney. We gave them too much room everywhere and Rooney took advantage of it. We conceded two goals which were straight from corners for us. The intelligence of our positioning was wrong.
It's massive disappointment, but we have to recover from this, that is part of top-level football. We have to focus on delivering a completely different performance against Chelsea because we were never close in our marking against Man United and you do not win big games like that.
We need something special now to stay in the race, of course. I am conscious of that.
Thanks for your support.
Arsène Wenger
Tuesday, February 9, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment