Wenger: A 13-point gap would have been too much
Dear Supporter,
Sunday's win was massive for us because we recently lost two games unexpectedly, and to lose at Stamford Bridge would have put us 13 points adrift of Chelsea; that would have been too much.
It was a test of character and we went into the game without the needed level of confidence but we showed from the start that we have character and I think we were a bit unlucky to be behind at half-time.
In the first-half I think Chelsea started a bit stronger and it took us 15 minutes to get into the game. We were on the back foot and then came slowly in. When we got in we scored an own goal.
I had to tell the players to keep the high pace as long as we could because that was when we looked dangerous. I didn't think we should be concerned by the fact we were trailing, but just to keep the high pace, get closer to their midfield - we had given them too much freedom before - and that changed the game.
In the second half we slowly moved on top and started to win the fight in the middle of the park. From then when we had the ball we looked as though we could be dangerous. So I am very, very happy because, after beating Manchester United, we have beaten Chelsea and I believe that brings us back into the title. It is still far but not impossible.
I have an intelligent team, a talented one, but we want to come back with humility and work hard. We have learned that we need that kind of focus in every game no matter who you play. The results show we have the level needed to be at the top but it is up to us in the coming months.
I believe this is part of the learning process, to win when you are not on the edge. You know you will not be in the same mindset every game, but you must learn to win whenever. I have an intelligent group and a young one. When you think you can just turn up and win, it is not good enough.
I was very pleased with the defence at Stamford Bridge. I think William Gallas was outstanding, absolutely amazing. He came out of that troublesome period with, for me, a lot of credit. His commitment is fantastic and it shows he is a fighter. I wanted to try Johan Djourou with Gallas and it made us a bit stronger in the duels and in the air.
Thanks for your support.
Tuesday, February 9, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment