Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

2008-12-22 : Against Liverpool

Wenger: The title is won in May, not December

Dear Supporter,

I believe we had a nervy start on Sunday and at 1-0 we didn't have enough control of the game.

We had played a bit too deep in midfield, and in the second half we played higher up. Straight away we got more control, and I think we could have won the game. It is very disappointing because we showed great spirit, strength, and commitment but missed that thing that can make the difference when you have 10 men. It was difficult.

Emmanuel Adebayor's red card was very soft. It was 'Be A Gooner, Be A Giver' at the Emirates as the Club dedicated the matchday to our Charity of the Season, Teenage Cancer Trust, but you cannot say the referee was a Gooner. He was a giver though, giving yellow cards that we didn't deserve.

Neither of the bookings were justified. It is just an unbelievable decision; if Adebayor goes off, then Robbie Keane should have gone off in the first minute. It seems we have different rules. The decision cost us two points and I do not agree with it at all.

I am not happy about the goal we conceded because it is the second time we have conceded one like that with a ball over the top; we had the same against Aston Villa. We need to correct that, but I think even with 10 men we were solid defensively. On that front I am happy that we have improved compared to one or two months ago.

Liverpool seemed cautious when we went down to 1-0 men - I don't know if they run out of resources, or maybe they were scared they might be caught out on the break. We had a few breaks and you could smell danger, so I think Liverpool became wary.

We are eight points behind Liverpool still but the title is won in May and we are only in December. We will fight until the end, because I am convinced that Liverpool will drop more points. They have had four draws at home, so why should they not drop more in the second part of the season?

Cesc Fabregas went off at half-time with a medial knee ligament problem. I don't know how long he will be out at the moment, it is difficult to assess. Of course it is a blow, you don't want to lose a player like that, but we have to cope with it.

On behalf of everyone at Arsenal Football Club, I'd like to wish you a very merry Christmas and a happy New Year.

Thanks for your support in 2008.

No comments:

Post a Comment