Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

2009-09-14 : Manchester City 4 - 2 Arsenal

Wenger: We should have got a much better result

Dear Supporter,

On Saturday we had the same feeling that we had after our first trip to Manchester two weeks earlier.

Like at United, there was more in the game for us than we got and we had to go home with the same disappointment and of course with the feeling that we should have got a much better result considering the way the two teams played.

Having said that, Manchester City they negotiated the two turning points of the game better than us and I believe we were defensively a bit shaky.

It's difficult to say whether we were naive in defence because many players came back from international games and when you play away from home it's very difficult to measure. We were not completely sharp and fresh as we can be and I felt it had an impact on our defensive concentration.

It is frustrating because we always looked in control on the balance of play, especially in the second half. But when it became 2-1 we threw everything forward and got caught on the break.
At the end of the day, when you concede four goals and you look at the time of possession we had and the number of shots on goal they had compared to us, it's very difficult to accept. But when you make mistakes at that level you pay for it.

The two main talking points after the game were Emmanuel Adebayor's alleged stamp on Robin van Persie and his celebrations in front of the Arsenal fans after he scored. I didn't see the 'stamp' incident at the time because the ball was moving away. I will have to see it again to assess that.

As for Adebayor's goal celebration, you know that is not welcome, but his attitude and his behaviour is out of my control and I cannot influence that.

One positive from Saturday was the return of Tomas Rosicky - his first competitive game in 20 months. It's good to have him back, but he's not completely fit yet to play in top-level competition. I think we need to be patient.

Thanks for your continued support.

No comments:

Post a Comment