Wenger: It was closer than you or I expected
Dear Arsenal Supporter,
Saturday's game was closer than you and I expected but we had the chances to score plenty of goals.
We didn't take our chances and that's why I believe it was very tight until the end. It could have been four, five or six for us but as well Burnley had a chance to make it 2-2 after a corner. In the end you are happy when you miss the chances we missed but you still get the three points.
I believe our first goal was a great goal and after that we created some magnificent chances, we just could not finish the game off. But the first ball from Nasri was fantastic, the finishing of Fabregas was class. And for the second goal Theo Walcott gave a great response to his critics.
I think Theo does what a player has to do - not talk in the newspapers and let your performance talk on the pitch. He didn't answer any critics other than with a good performance and that's what you want from a player. That shows he is mentally strong.
I was interested to see how he would respond on Saturday. I was quite sure he would respond with a good performance but you never know, it affects you when you get criticised. The way he answered that at his age is remarkable.
Nicklas Bendtner missed some chances and underneath I am sure he is really disappointed. Everybody has a different way to show his emotions, and he hides well, but he cares. Overall in his game, he was quite good. In his finishing, he missed chance after chance, but if you are a striker, it is like that.
You think 'I missed the first one, but I will score the next one'. Once you have missed the second one, you are in trouble because after you do not know how to take the third one - 'do I really go for it, or wait for the ball?' That is what happened to him on Saturday. I always feel sorry for someone who missed the chances. You are only angry if a guy is not committed enough.
As for the title race, as I have said before it is down to our consistency. If we win our games, we will be there, that is for sure. But we have experienced again that every game demands full focus and commitment. When you play against teams who fight not to go down, they will fight until the last minute. Next week we play at Hull and expect exactly the same type of game.
Thanks for your support.
Arsène Wenger
Monday, March 8, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment